Sunday 15 March 2015

More than 10.

Have I already told you about my 10 item wardrobe plan?

Inspired by this talk, I thought 'what a brilliant idea!' Less clothes, but better quality. In general I try to have less, but live more, so a 10 item wardrobe seemed like something for me.

The idea is simple. For each season you have 10 basic items (a dress, skirt, trousers, shirts) which are of very good quality, so that they last long rather than looking like rubbish after one wash. Extra supplementary items are allowed, but you can't go overboard (10 basic items do not square with 100 pairs of shoes and boxes of jewelry).

I haven't actually execute this properly, but nonetheless I thought I was doing fine in terms of the number of clothes. Looking at my friends, especially female, with shelves overflowing with clothes they never wear, I thought I had a good sense of control in terms of buying things.

And then I've decided to fold all of my clothes nicely, so I took them out of the drawers and embarked onto the folding adventure which resulted in this:


As you can tell, even with a quick look this is more than 10 items. In fact, it is much more. 

In fact, I've counted 4 shirts, 5 jumpers, 1 pair of jeans, 5 dresses, 11 (sic!) skirts, 2 cardigans, not to forget probably around 10 tops and t-shirts. Clearly this is not good. Not when you want to have a neat 10 item wardrobe.

The thing is, I do wear these things. This is pretty much everything that I have. I have a all-year-long set of clothes and I'm not sure whether I can, or should reduce it any further. I've recently said goodbye to a pinkish purple cardigan as a sign of entering the adulthood (you don't look particularly mature in this shade of purple. Maybe I should say goodbye to a few skirts too, but I'll need to think it over. Skirts are really dear to me.

But this is something that I definitely need to work on, to reduce the amount of clothes I have to some more manageable number. Seems like a good goal for the rest of March, could probably be counted towards my spring cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment