Sunday 29 March 2015

Learning how to learn.

At the start of my degree I was told that I need to learn myself how to learn law. But no one has ever shown me any learning techniques which I could use to figure out for myself how my brain works and what is most beneficial way of studying for me. Instead I was given an example of notes from one of the tutors and that was really it.

Oh, and yes, they told me to study hard.

So now, a year away from finals, I'm finding retaining any information in my memory, and understanding them, increasingly hard. Even land law which I really loved last year seems alien. So in search for help I have turned to a couple of books on memory and an online course.

The course can be found under this link. I haven't had a chance to test what I've learnt yet, and it will only really become measurable during finals, but I'm much more hopeful now.

I think the biggest lesson I've taken from the course so far is that learning requires time and focused attention. It sounds fairly common sense really, but it often seemed to me that people just remembered something after reading the textbook once, and it might be the case with some of them, but not everyone has photographic memory. I don't. So I need to take my time with it and not expect immediate results.

Attention is something that I struggle with, especially when I'm reading a textbook on my own. Today there is so much distractions everywhere, too many stimuli bombarding my brain from every direction. The only way to deal with it is actually to turn off any internet connection, switch off my laptop and put my Pomodoro timer on. Then for 25 minutes I just focus on whatever I want to do. 25 minutes  doesn't seem like enough, but really I get more than within those 25 focused minutes than I do during two hours of work distracted with flipping through pointless websites.

           

As for the books, The Memory Book gives a very helpful technique about remembering lists. I was aware of it, but never got it so clearly explained. The basic idea is that you need to create a very clear mental picture, as ridiculous as possible and link one item with another by way of such images. Although it's presented in the context of lists in the book, it can be used for other things, for example I started using it to remember what cases are about. My recent invention was to remember Pulhofer case which was about a test of a perverse factual finding by imagining an exhibitionist (pervert) in a pullover. Strong mental image. Plus using the technique of remembering names and new words: find a word that sounds similar.

Another thing I've realised is that attitude is very important. This is why I abandoned land law for now and instead started revising admin. It's much more common sense and there's simply less to get grips of, which means I can actually remember what I've learnt and in result become more positive about revision. Instead of feeling like a complete failure, now I feel like I'm completely capable of preparing for finals. It will take time, but I have over a year. It's enough time.

***

There are some interesting articles from around the web listed here, have a look, they give an interesting tips about how to learn:

  • http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-power-of-the-doodle-improve-your-focus-and-memory-1406675744
  • http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2014/10/08/multitasking-damages-your-brain-and-career-new-studies-suggest/
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3304496/Be-lucky-its-an-easy-skill-to-learn.html
I really hope this post will help people like me who feel overwhelmed or insufficient. You can do this! It's probably that you've never been told how to go about learning. But once you know, it'll become easier. I know from experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment