Thursday 12 November 2015

Number game.

So apparently I'm in the list position when it comes to dating. The numbers are simply against me. At least according to this article here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/10/dating-gap-hook-up-culture-female-graduates
Would I date someone without a degree? I admittedly shivered at this thought at first, and I feel really bad about it, but actually, after thinking it through, it's not a degree that I'm really after.
My experience so far ranges from a guy who terribly struggled at school, and I'm not really sure where you got with his education by now to a guys reading for fantastic degrees, but showing varying interests in them, and different variations on the theme in between. And all of these relationships have left me with some unsatisfied need. It had nothing to do with their education. Being at Oxford, I have plenty of young and educated men here (sometimes even attractive!) and I'm not really that keen on dating any of them. There's nothing wrong with these guy's (or, me, hopefully, for that matter). It's just that they're all sort of the same. And they have the same idea about the future: get a good class degree and find a well-paid job in the City. There's nothing wrong with having a job in the city either, but I expect something... I don't know, less boring? More crazy? Of a sort of 'let's move to the Isle of Wight and start a pug farm!'

Intelligence doesn't necessarily follow a degree, and vice versa. And it's intelligence that I expect in my other half. And passion. For anything. But some sort of passion, that will make his heart race, that will make him want to get out of bed in the morning. And this is actually quite difficult to find these days, because people are somewhat indifferent and missing interest in anything worthwhile. And here the numbers are definitely more against me.

Maybe, since the numbers are against me anyway, I should just move to the Isle of Wight on my own and start the pug farm?

Or maybe I'll just prove statistics wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment