Thursday 5 November 2015

Bag it.

The world has not ended. There hasn't been any major disaster. I haven't seen people crying in despair. Despite what the media have foreseen, we're just fine. After a month with 5p plastic bag charge, everything is fine.

I must say I am a big fan of this charge, in fact I'd ban all plastic bags from the shops. At this point there is not a single plastic bag in the house. I have multiple reusable bags in various shapes and sizes, including my beloved cheese bag and life seems to go on quite well.

Plastic bags are convenient, but I think we've reached the point where convenience should stop being prioritised over what is truly good for us. Plastic bags are one of those things that you are really keen to take, but then you never want to use them again, so they get under your kitchen sink, the place of eternal damnation in the house, or, much worse, end up on the streets, blown away by the wind.

We need to start looking after our planet properly. Starting with all these plastic bags is a good move, maybe then we could take care of overproduction of waste in general. Do you know how much rubbish you produce? I am amazed by the amount of waste produced in my house, especially the waste that cannot be recycled. It is unnecessary really. But when you go to a supermarket everything is packed in some sort of plastic packaging, a large proportion of which is non-recyclable. This bothers me a lot. I wish we could go back to the times where there were no supermarkets, where people could easily buy local fruit and veg and place it in their own cotton bag or a basket. Without the plastic packaging and all this add-on stuff that is completely unnecessary.

I'm trying to be more aware of how my life influences the environment. Maybe if one person changes their behaviour it won't make much of a difference, but I believe that if each one of us changes something small, the impact can be great. Do not take the plastic bag from the shop. Buy in bulk to reduce the amount of packaging. Buy fair trade. Support local farmers. Whatever it might be, just do it. We need to start this change somewhere, don't we?


This is a very interesting talk on living a zero-waste life. It might seem to be going a little too far to actually reduce your waste to zero, but I think there's a lot to learn from this girl's experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment