Friday 4 April 2014

Money matters

Apparently young Polish people leave Poland and work elsewhere because 'elsewhere' is a place where they will get paid more.

Surely, when I am about to make a choice about an internship in the UK, where I'm offered at least 300 GBP a week and in Poland, where I can get 1200 PLN a month, all things being equal, I will go for the former rather than the latter.

But this is only all things being equal. We, young people (and excuse me for not speaking only for myself in this instance), DO want more than money. The problem is not in monetary remuneration. Important as it is, my generations is wise enough to know that selling you soul for another thousand in your account is rarely a good idea.

I'm in the process of applying for various internship positions in a variety of countries and this is how I see it.

When I see an internship offer that requires 35+ hours of work a week in some commercial firm of one sort or another and is not paid for I'm not thinking "oh my word they won't pay me! how awful of them!" I rather think "So... They expect me to work more or less as much as they average employee. Let's assume I will be especially enthusiastic (as it happens) and do  more than I would have otherwise. And they don't want to pay me for all the effort."

I think it is a simple matter of respect. I work for you, so I should be paid. I'm not a slave or something, but a normal human being wanting to gain some experience. And my work should be respected. Simple as that.

1 comment:

  1. Kasiu, darmowe staże to nie tylko domena Polski, niestety.
    Spora część brytyjskich ofert stażowych publikowanych w internecie (możliwe nawet, że większość) dla absolwentów (!) architektury i kierunków pokrewnych to 'unpaid internship'.
    Inna sprawa, że faktycznie z reguły są to staże w niepełnym wymiarze godzin i w wielu przypadkach można spodziewać się, że można będzie faktycznie czegoś się naczyć. Zgadzam się jednak z tobą, że każdy pracownik powinien otrzymywać wynagrodzenie.
    Sama skończyłam studia w Szkocji rok temu, potem trafiłam na staż w Anglii - niepłatny, ale desperacko potrzebowałam doświadczenia. Sporo się nauczyłam, ale postanowiłam też, że już więcej za darmo nie będę pracować (chyba że społecznie, w ramach wolontariatu).
    I chociaż miałam odczucia podobne jak Twoje względem życia w rozkroku między UK a Polską i że w UK jestem bardziej 'u siebie', to wysłałam też kilka aplikacji o zatrudnienie do Polski. W rezultacie od przyszłego tygodnia zaczynam pracę w Warszawie, na pełen etat i na podstawie umowy o pracę - podobno w tym kraju to dla wielu osób w moim wieku szczyt marzeń. Mam dużo obaw o to, jak mi w tej Warszawie będzie, ale mam nadzieję, że nie najgorzej :) Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete