Thursday 13 March 2014

#polishcongress

This is a belated post, but as misfortune comes in threes (or so they say), so my laptop has managed to break and my body has managed to catch some nasty bug and it's only now that I'm in a state fit for writing,  so there you go.

Last weekend was rather exciting with the Congress of Polish Student Societies in the UK happening in Oxford. I have to say that I've enjoyed it more than I though, despite a slightly snoozy atmosphere on Sunday morning (what would you expect on a morning after a party) and an accident involving my ankle.

There were quite a few highlights of the weekend. After two years, time truly flies,  we got reunited with a friend who went to a boarding school with me and had a chance to catch up a bit and exchange recent news. I finally met a Pole studying law at Oxford and also met a guy studying law in Dublin. It is always exciting for me to meet others studying a completely different legal system than a civil one. There was an extremely good panel discussion on the way Poland has made during the last 10 years (and I have actually taken notes! not like me at all) and some amusing comedy bits. Fantastic.

There was one thing I didn't like. Students kept saying that employees in Poland do not offer enough or that perspectives back home are not attractive. Our Foreign Affairs Minister said, quite rightly, that we don't need to go back. Personally I would love to go to Poland again one day. I'm not at all sure when,  but I do want to. What annoys me is that young people expect that somehow the world will do everything for them,  but this is not at all how it works. Life is what you make of it yourself. You need to be creative and passionate, have something to say and be determined to follow your dreams. I don't have certain future ahead, but I search and talk to people who came back and are very successful. Moaning does not get us anywhere.

And I sometimes don't think that this is about coming back at all. You can live wherever and remain connected to Poland. Create little motherland in your home. This is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment