Wednesday 26 March 2014

Kitchen express: Carrot muffins

Staying in the cake-theme, desperate to have something sweet but relatively healthy for a snack I've decided to go for muffins. Muffins are not only great because they taste so good. They hardly ever take more than 30 minutes to make (including baking time!), you can put whatever you want inside and hardly anything can go wrong. Also, you should have all the necessary ingredients at home. My recipe makes 12 medium sized muffins.

You are supposed to add 100 grams of each flour, sugar and butter, though I tend to add less butter, I think it's unnecessary to add so much fat, so I usually go for about 80 grams instead. Add 2 eggs. Then 2 peeled and grated carrots, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp baking soda (unless you use self-rising flour, then add much less of  these). Sultanas & cranberries (as much as you like), some almond flakes (optionally, I just fancied using them up) and done!* Now into the muffin tin lined with muffin cup liners. The oven should be heated up to 175 C (fan) and you need to wait another 20-25 minutes until they are done. Keep them in the oven until cooked through and golden brown.

So simple. I have to say that I used to be rather suspicious when it came to adding carrots to cakes, but nothing to worry about. Carrot cakes do not taste like carrot, but carrots give it a nice texture and colour.

* if you think the batter is too runny just add a bit more flour.

Straight out from the oven.
And straight into my tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment