Friday 24 June 2016

First visit to the Isle of Wight.

5:50am start. And I'm not joking. This is how early I had to wake up in order to catch a 7:30am hovercraft to Ryde.

Though this very early morning was definitely compensated by the exiting things happening all throughout the day. We've been blessed with great weather and some very exciting stuff going on all through the day.

First, it's been quite an experience to be on the hover. I would compare it to an aeroplane. It's a bit bumpy, but 10 minutes of the journey flied by and before we knew it, we were on the island! For my very first time.






Second adventure of the day was the trip on the Island Line train. Well, it's really two old underground coaches. Traveling on it feels like a ride on a rollercoaster. It's brilliant and the views of the countryside are beautiful. I quite like the perspective of taking it every day for the next two years.



And I've finally visited the school where I will be teaching and it's fantastic! The facilities are great, the staff is friendly and helpful and apparently the children are very amicable too. So I believe I will have a fantastic time there. We've been taken for a drive round the local area to get to know it better by two lovely local councillors. Now I know where the best playground is, know the story of most of the derelict buildings round there and I know where the most beautiful beach on the island is.

I'm due to meet my Maths mentor on Monday and I'm really excited about that. I really want to get my hands dirty and get some serious work done. I need to learn so much, from simple practical stuff about where the loos are, through the layout of lesson plans, schemes of work, behaviour policy, to departmental meeting times and so on. It will be a great two years. Or maybe more. I can see myself staying on the Isle, it's so beautiful and just already feels like home.

In the afternoon I've visited Shanklin and I've absolutely fell in love with it. It's small enough to be cosy, but at the same time there are plenty of shops and cafes, the beach is just round the corner and apparently there is a charming old town here as well. I have a lot of exploring still to do, yet to visit the beach, but I've found a nice cafe for a morning coffee on Saturday and I now know my way round the centre of the town. I can imagine myself living there. Definitely a serious contender.






I'm really happy after today's trip. It just feels like a dream come true really. Maybe living on the Isle of Wight is a bit crazy, but, well, life needs to be crazy sometimes. Tomorrow is another day of exploring the island. I'm loving my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment