Wednesday 22 June 2016

First few days in Portsmouth - #TFSI2016

I've realised that maybe not everyone is clear about what Teach First does and what Summer Institute is and since this will definitely dominate the next six weeks of my life (and be a big part of the next two years), I thought it would be helpful to write a few words about it before I update you on what actually has been going on across the last few days.

Teach First is an organisation which works towards a vision that no child's educational success should be limited by their socio-economic background. There is still a long way to go in that respect. UK is a country where the gap in educational achievement between pupils from more affluent families and those from less well-off families is greatest in the developed world. TF is driven by five values: collaboration, commitment, excellence, integrity and leadership. These guide everything that people involved in TF do. Summer Institute, on the other hand, is an intense, six-weeks programme which is designed to prepare new Teach First participants for their teaching role. It includes talks, lectures and workshops. I won't lie, it is demanding. We need to cover a wide range of topics in a very short space of time. No time to waffle. But it is also hugely enjoyable, because you feel like you are learning every minute and what you learn will be really helpful in your practice.

------

Since I've arrived in Portsmouth four days ago, I've been bombarded with information about what to expect during the Summer Institute, what is expected of me as a teacher, what teaching techniques I might want to employ, the assignments I will need to write to get a PGCE, standards, policies, the importance of reflection and the community. The days are really long and full on, 9am until almost 6 pm, but I'm really enjoying it.

And the people are fantastic. Really optimistic, passionate about education and young people, willing to go an extra mile to address this pressing issue of educational disadvantage. I think we will form strong friendships during this programme. Because it will be tough. But I'm up for it.

Today we visited a school to observe some outstanding practice. It is such a weird feeling to observe in practice some of the techniques we were taught about. I've made extended notes on what teachers say, how they behave, how they move about the classroom and how they make sure that pupils stay focused on the task in front of them. There was also a student panel where we had an opportunity to ask pupils some questions about teaching and learning, their life outside the school and what they make of Portsmouth. It was really interesting to hear directly from them. And interestingly we had some pupils who loved Maths in that group and some which absolutely hated it. From my point of view it is interesting to explore why there is this dramatic difference in order to try to bridge the gap in engagement in my classroom.

------

Next week will be particularly exciting, because I'll be visiting my new school on the Isle of Wight! I will meet my new colleagues, my potential pupils, all the staff, will find out how exactly the school is run and how they expect me to work. I really can't wait for it, I'm really really looking forward to it. And the teachers I've already spoken to are really excited about having the four of us (Maths, Science, RS and English) at their school. Apparently there are two, potentially three other trainee teachers coming to the school in September as well, which should be fantastic, we will have a little community of newbies.

Famous hovercraft. Quite a sight live.

Enough for now, need to get ready for another long day. Ahoj!

No comments:

Post a Comment