Friday 8 July 2016

Oh dear.

Teach First is a little bit like a hit and run, isn't it?

This comments has left us utterly perplexed. Are we driving the car and hitting our pupils? Or is Teach First driving the car and we are being hit?

Either option seems completely unsatisfactory.

If we are the one hitting pupils, then the data goes completely against this idea. TF teachers raise aspirations and improve achievement in their school. They are a source of positive energy and are not afraid of experimenting in order to push their pupils a bit harder. Yes, the programme lasts only for 2 years, but lives are changed for ever. And, statistically, 56% of us will stay in the teaching career. The rest will go on to do something else, but keeping in mind the vision to bridge the education inequality in the UK. You do not necessarily need to do it from the front of the classroom. Actually, we really need people in business and politics and other walks of life to address the issue in whatever way they can.

If it's TF driving the car, I don't feel like I'm being left without any help by the end of these six weeks (and we are 3 weeks in already!). There is so much support that I get. I'm really lucky that my school is really keen on having us and my professional and subject mentors are absolutely fantastic: always ready to help, share their experience or point me in a right direction. TF itself provides a number of people whose role is dedicated to ensuring that we are happy. I definitely won't be left alone.

--------------------

Across the last few days I've also heard a lot of comments about working on the Isle of Wight. I'm not sure what all these people are on about. I don't have any illusions as to the state of education on the island. It is pretty bad. But I think pupils there have a huge potential and are perfectly capable of achieving what pupils from the mainland are. It is just a matter of unlocking it. Of course it won't be easy, but not many worthwhile things in life are. Besides, it's such a beautiful place to live with so much to see and experience.

---------------------

Yes, last few days had a lot of challenging assumptions elements. I somewhat wish I didn't have this experience: it is distracting me from my main focus, which is learn as much as I can before September, start letting all those techniques sink in and practice using behaviour management. But it seems that the flow of challenges regarding my chosen teaching route will not come to an end any time soon, I just need to learn to live with that. At least this will make me constantly think about why I'm doing it and what I want to get out of it. It's definitely worth it, even if not everyone can see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment