Friday 25 March 2016

Feeling I've never truly experienced.

I don't know what lacking something feels like. I don't really know what true hunger looks like. When on a Good Friday, traditionally a day of fasting and abstinence, I cease to munch on food all day, I painfully realise that my "hunger" is nothing compared to what other people endure on daily basis. It also makes me realise how little I need to live on. Instead of fancy meals and regular snacks, it's perfectly sufficient to just have a simple piece of bread and vegetables.

This seems to be the point of fasting. Not so much to feel a lack of something, but to realise the abundance that we already have. Every day I feel so blessed. I can read, I can write, I can go and buy anything I want, there's clean water in my taps, a full fridge and shelves filled with books. I am loved and respected. I have more than most of the world's population.

God, let me always be thankful for what I have. Let me always remember that I've been particularly blessed. Let me make good use of what I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment