Saturday 20 June 2015

I love teaching!

It's been quiet down here for a while, but Teach First Insight Programme took my whole time. It involved some rather early mornings (including wake up call at 5:50 am to make sure I manage to get to school before 8:30 am) and some very exciting stuff.

First week was largely talks and workshops, but I've picked up so many teaching tricks and ways of looking at education. Second week was more interesting in a way, because I spent four days in a school equipped with a staff pass and a lot of passion. I actually loved being back in school again as a teacher. There's something great about being called 'miss' and walking down the school yard with this sense of importance of some sort (although, as I've learnt the hard way, you need to remember to check your skirt before leaving the loo: in case it gets caught up in your tights and you march quarter of a school yard with your bump exposed. Not very professional at all.) And I just enjoy it so much to be with students and explain things to them. Although I've seen a few grim sights, including a girl saying that she doesn't care about doing work and being terribly rude to the teacher and just general apathy evident in many of the kids there. It's really sad, because most of the teachers do care and do make an effort to facilitate their learning. But overall it was an inspiring experience: I've met a boy who would like to go to Oxford, another one who aspires to be a police officer and it seems that it is for such pupils that it is worth to make an extra effort as a teacher. You will encounter a lot of apathy, but there will be a few who need a little push and will make their dreams come true.

My journey into teaching
Personalised timetable
Preparation for my lesson on probabilities
I think that at this point I'm pretty sure I want to apply for Teach First, actually I'll hopefully get round to it sooner rather than later. It would be fantastic to become a teacher. Maybe I found my vocation? At least a temporary one?

No comments:

Post a Comment