Tuesday 26 May 2015

Are you going back?

I often get asked whether I plan to go back to Poland and my answers started in the past with 'yes, of course', then changed into 'maybe, I'd like to at some point', and gradually evolved into 'no, thank you.'

During those five years I've lost any sense of guilt about my alleged lack of patriotism. I simply don't want to go back to Poland. Recently I had a conversation that really encapsulated the reason why I, and many Polish expats around the world, don't want to come back. It's not so much about the money. Admittedly, you can earn more in the UK or Germany than in Poland. But what is more important is that in Poland you feel like the government is against you as a citizen all the time. And this is extremely discouraging. Imaging going to any governmental office, knowing for a fact that people sitting behind the desk don't want to help you, but want to make your life as difficult as possible. I'm so worked up now, that when I need to get in touch with any governmental offices, I look up the relevant piece of legislation to make sure my case is dealt with fairly and according to the law. It might seem paranoid, but if you don't know your rights you have none. It's sad, but this is how I see it.

After a right-wing candidate won presidential elections, those who voted for him were called stupid, and those on the losing side instantly declared that they would leave the country. I felt offended as a citizen, because for one thing, the president is supposed to represent the entire nation, and secondly, you shouldn't question somebody's mental abilities according to whether he agrees with you or not. Democracy works as it works, and you need to deal with it.

So I'm not coming back any time soon. Unless things change. And they might, because, as this election showed, people are ready to make unexpected and brave choices. In the mean time, I'll keep voting for people who might do something good for Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment