Monday 20 April 2015

Orange, Orange Everywhere.

As you probably know, the national colour of the Netherlands is orange. Orange is omnipresent at the moment since it's a week until the King's Day. Apparently the entire country goes crazy for a day (or a bit more, if you count the pre-King's Day parties on April 26th) and I already dread next Monday. I'm not particularily excited about this occassion: it's not my king, not my country and in general I avoid big congregations of people.

In case you doubt the omnipresence of orange, here is a selection of what it on offer in Dutch supermarkets. From donoughts through burgers to potatoes, everything is oranje. You open the frisge and oranje jumps onto your face.


 
Of course, apart from these bizzare orange food items, there are of course banners, wigs, trumpets, flags and whatever elseon sale, everything still in orange. I bet by Monday I'll be sick of all this orange. Until then I'll try to devise a plan how to avoid this craze, since I have no intention to participate. My home will be a safe haven with movies, tea, snacks and peace and quiet to keep us away from the orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment