Saturday 7 February 2015

Fish adventures.

Twice a week there is a market in Leiden and there are quite a few fish stands there, so I thought I would eat something different than pasta this time and purchased two mackerels. One ended up in the freezer, the other one was shuffled into the oven with some courgette, onion and potato wedges as a side. Since I had no lemon at home a tangerine had to do the job and I quite liked the subtle sweetness of it. I've never actually had mackerel other than a smoked one, so I was quite curious to taste it. 

And voila! My first fish adventure has resulted in a culinary success (and a full tummy). I would definitely try trout next time, add some carrots, and probably get a smaller fish or at least share with someone (;p), but it's such a good choice for dinner: it's cheap (I paid less than 3 euro for two fish), easy and quick to prepare and tastes really good. Now I'll probably reduce the amount of chicken eaten and switch to fish a couple of days a week, especially that it's so easy to get it fresh here.

Ready to go into the oven.

Tightly wrapped in alu foil, getting delicious at 190 degrees.

Delicate and moist, here comes my healthy dinner choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment