Thursday 27 November 2014

Back on the Island!

I still don't understand why the Union flag was a necessity for this picture.
It was so good to be back in Oxford for a few days. When I arrived at the train station it just felt like being at home again. Strolling down the Cornmarket has never been so pleasurable, even in pouring rain and with crowds of tourists flooding around.

I managed to catch up with more people than I've actually expected and I had a wonderful time. I'm glad that I've actually went in the end, because I honestly didn't feel like it for quite a while. But it was fantastic. I feel like I'm repeating myself. Yes, I had loads of fun. There was a trip to the college bar, brunch in the dinning hall (best meal of the week), Tuesday breakfast with blueberry pancakes and a morning coffee in a Jericho cafe. Thanks to everyone who made my time in Oxford so special (you know who you are)!
And I even managed to go to the cinema and see 'The Imitation Game', such a good film (although I suspect that a small part of the reason I have enjoyed it so much is that I went by myself with only a bag of toffee popcorn to accompany me that afternoon).

I came back to Leiden with a suitcase full of crumpets and breakfast muffins dutifully bought for Captain America and three jars of mincemeat to make a stack of Christmas pies next month. It seems that I got my dose of Englishness to carry me through the next few months. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment