Wednesday 7 November 2018

Decisions, decisions.

I need to make some serious life decisions in the coming weeks. I have no brain space for trivial matters.

~~~

I reckon I make about 500+ decisions in a day. Maybe more, given that I'm a teacher and I constantly need to decide how to respond to pupil interactions in my classroom. The problem is that my ability to make good decisions is easily depleted. So the key is to minimise the number of decisions I need to make each day.

Ever since I've decluttered my wardrobe, my mornings involve much less decisions, because I don't have piles and piles of clothes to get through in order to pick my outfit. In fact, I often plan it the previous evening. I have the same morning routine every day, wake up at the same time, bathroom, make a cup of tea, take lunch out of the fridge, eat breakfast, get dressed, brush my teeth, get out of the house. Same every day, I don't even need to think about it. I usually mak a big batch of food on a Sunday so that I can just take it to work for lunch without worrying what to eat. I make a rough meal plan for the week so that I don't have to come up with ideas for dinners.

As for my daily activities, I write down what I need to do when I get to work in the morning so that I have a productive hour without wasting time for making choices. Time at work is structured, but what happens in the classroom can be unpredictable, so I need all the energy I can get to respond to anything that might happen in the classroom. Like children trying to turn tables upside down or throwing bits of glue around. All these require me to be super alert and able to make quick decisions. So I come in in the morning with a clear idea what needs printing, what needs marking, which books need to be on the desks. And I have routines for the school day as well. At break time, I lay out the books for the next class, set up everything on my laptop for the next two periods of the day and I have my snack. Every day is the same. I know exactly what to do and how to do it, no need to think to much.

I know that some people might say that it is sad and that there doesn't seem to be any spontaneity in my life, but actually I found that because I've pre-made so many decisions, I have more energy and time for being spontaneous when I feel like it. And I actually really like structure. It gives me a sense of security and lets me really focus on what matters. Like taking time to do my MA or to make better lesson plans or engage with professional development. Time is precious. If I can make a decision about something trivial once a week or once a month instead of every day, I'm going to do it, no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment