Thursday 29 November 2018

Land of deliciousness.

So that it doesn't look like I despise the entire British cuisine, I'm following up the post from last week (you can read it here) with this list of delicious foods that I have discovered after moving to the UK. And there is a bunch of those! 

Trifle is by far my favourite dessert. I still haven't got the guts to try making it myself, but I've been known to eat the entire 6-serving bowl all on my own. I wouldn't recommend it, it might make you sick. But this is as much as I love trifle. For those of you who are not familiar with this concept, trifle is three layers of deliciousness: sponge, fruit and custard topped up with whipped cream.

On a similar note, I absolutely adore rhubarb crumble. I love the the combination of rather tart rhubarb which melts in a mouth with a sweet and a little crisp topping. It takes minutes to assemble and I really enjoy it topped with cream. Or custard. Though I think I prefer cream, it adds an extra flavour which is not purely sweet. It's a shame really that rhubarb is in season for such a short time, I can never get enough rhubarb when it's around.

Baked beans are a controversial one here. I know many people who have rather strong feelings about them. As far as I'm concerned, baked beans are a staple in my kitchen cupboards. Delicious for breakfast, can be easily turned into a quick dinner if need be. I love the convenience of those little tins.

Mr Magic got me a selection of cheeses for birthday a couple of years ago and I loved stilton, especially paired with almond and cherry toast. Apparently stilton is the king of English cheeses and I'm ready to believe that. Blue cheeses are not everybody's thing, but stilton is amazing, superior to gorgonzola in my opinion. I would happily eat it on its own as an afternoon snack.

Here it is then, I told you English cuisine is not all grim and unappealing. There are so many things that I've grown used to over the years. What is your favourite English food?

No comments:

Post a Comment