Sunday 23 September 2018

Sunday Special: Pharaoh's heart.

I've been reading the Book of Exodus for the past couple of weeks. It's incredible how stories from the past are still relevant to my life today. When I started to read Exodus, I was a little dubious if I would be able to hear the voice of God speaking to me through the pages, but I've found that with every chapter there was at least a verse which touched the depths of my heart.

The stories of 10 Egyptian plagues really spoke to me through the character of Pharaoh. When the plague strikes, he asks Moses to pray to God to stop the disaster and promises to let Israelites go, but the moment the plague is gone, Pharaoh changes his mind, hardens his heart and doesn't let people go anymore.

This story truly mirrors my life. I lift up my eyes to God when a storm is coming, I cry for deliverance and pray incessantly. But when everything calms down, God is pushed to the background. I don't need to be saved anymore. Life is sweetly comfortable.

The plagues kept coming onto the Egyptians, because they didn't stick with the awe of God. They treated God as a tool for getting rid of their problems, but were not interested in developing a lasting relationship with Him.

I have Pharaoh's heart. I have a heart of stone that needs to be replaced by a heart of flesh. And it can only happen if I cling to God. Every day. On a day when I can hardly leave my bed and on a day when I'm winning. On a day when I'm running around like a headless chicken and on a day when I actually have an hour to sit in a chapel and pray. I need to refocus my life on God. Put His first. See that His abundance is much more than what I can create myself on my best day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment