Thursday 18 May 2017

Seven-hour ordeal.

I'm writing this having just woken up from almost a seven-hour migraine ordeal.


I've suffered from migraines from an early age, I think I must have been around 12 when I started getting migraines. Apparently I've had a doubtful pleasure of inheriting it from the female members of my family. And so for over ten years now, I have a recurring experience of what my mum describes as "a headaches that make your eyes stick to the back of your head". It doesn't sound particularly nice, does it?

People who don't get migraines cannot really understand how debilitating the pain is. It's not a normal headache that you can treat with plenty of water and paracetamol. I'm always annoyed at people advising me to 'take something for it'. I freaking DID, but migraines are such that they are super resistant towards painkillers.

Image result for pills

I terms of migraine remedies I tried pretty much everything, from lying down on cold bathroom tiles, through ice packs, cold and hot showers, baths, drinking water, sleeping in a dark room, to all sort of preventive and ad hoc medications. I'm at the point that I slowly come to terms with the pain as simply a part of my life, but I still have days when I'm simply in tears, asking myself why I need to go through all of this.

Not only is the pain unbearable, but the migraine actually interferes with your whole life. You can't eat, walk, read, exercise, cook. What is left is just sleep, or trying to get to sleep. Hence you miss a lot of days of work and study, while you'd really rather get on with your life.

There is currently no cure for migraine, but I am hopeful. I've been on preventive medicine for a while now and it seems to be working in general, I definitely have less migraines than before. My migraine tracker (yes, it's a thing, and is really helpful) says that I went on for over a month without a migraine which is a good score for me. But I'm waiting for the future without migraines. When I won't need to worry if I wake up to a terrible pain or not.

In the meantime, I just need to be reasonable about everything I do and think about what I eat and when, how much sleep I get and whether I'm becoming too stressed or not. It's a lot to think about when you're go about your normal life. But that's the only way for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment