Monday 29 September 2014

Bloody Americans.

I've been warned, right? They've told me there will be an excessive number of Americans in Leiden.

What I haven't expected was that I'd actually end up hanging out with Americans.

And now I spend my days trying to get into their heads how to pronounce English words correctly. Or which words to use.

Tuna. Basil. Biscuit. Washing powder. Queue. Fringe.

It's absolutely amazing how we are supposed to speak the very same language, but we end up saying different things, though actually meaning the same. Sort of. My horizons suddenly expanded in an unexpected direction. I must say it's somewhat disturbing, I thought I'm fairly fluent in English, even when it comes to colloquialisms, but damn not, still have soooo much to learn. The most recent word I've learnt is crunked, which quite frankly sounds as if someone tried to say cracker with a stuffed nose and an aching tooth. Anyway, apparently this word will come in handy soon (beware!), which I'm ready to believe after years spent  in student accommodation. Getting crunked seems like a perpetual state here.

So yes, I'm spending my days trying to stick to proper English. And putting up with the American way of being (loud and overly expressive (passionate?), as I see it). So far, I absolutely love it. Especially that my Englishness is magnified around them. As of yet my inner introvert hasn't been driven crazy, probably thanks to drinking excessive quantities of tea. Only tea can keep me sane now.

No comments:

Post a Comment