Wednesday 29 January 2014

Such a grim day, have some tea

There are some rumours going around that the only reason why the University of Oxford was established in this particular place is that it has a very specific micro-climate. It's usually quite grim here, raining all day long, wind blowing from all of the directions (most often in the direction opposite to the one you try to cycle in) and the sky is gray almost all the time. In such a wonderfully terrible weather, what else would you like to do than ensconce yourself in the far corner of the library and dive straight into your textbook reading? Why would you like to meet your friends, go for a walk in the park or do something equally pleasurable? The weather simply removes the choice.

I honestly think there is some truth in this story. This was literally my today. I've successfully reduced the number of occasions when I had to leave my 'hole' (i.e. my room, but it is so dark and small that a 'hole' seems like a more appropriate term) to an absolute minimum: lunch-tutorial-meeting in the evening. In this way I managed to get through the remainder of my reading list- surely this would not have happened had it been nicer outside. I would have probably drifted off to a cafe, then made a move to the Chaplaincy to mess around there for a bit, then I would have decided that I might wanted to go for a walk around Christ Church Meadow...

Yes, it was a grim day. And when a day is so grim as today, you need tea. This is one of the things you learn quite quickly here. Tea makes everything better. Even yet another Trusts case.

No comments:

Post a Comment