Monday 20 January 2014

Log out into life

I spend most of my working days in front of a laptop screen. Case reports are online, reading list is in an electronic version and essays need to be typed up and send via email. And I spend so much time checking the inbox, sending out and replying to the emails.

It is terrifying that people tend to spend more time online than offline. Life has somehow transferred into the virtual world and I don't like it at all. To the point that I don't even owe a Facebook account anymore. I've realised that Fb is a terrible waste of time. What is strange for me is that people spend hours scrolling down the page, looking at updates and pictures from people they don't care about at all. Why would you spend your precious time like this? Why don't you go out with your friends and find out what is happening in their life? It is also a brilliant test of who your real friends are. Honestly, if they are not bothered enough to send an email/text or give you a call, then there are serious reasons to reconsider whether they should really be called 'friends'. Even sadder is when I see groups of friends sitting together in a cafe or somewhere, each of them staring at his mobile's screen, not taking any notice of the others. This is like a plague now- as if we've lost all the social skills.

Last year I logged out into life and am rather happy about this. Less time online means more time to do things that are truly enjoyable and important. And all of a sudden I can even get my work done without staying up until early morning hours! And have time for leisure reading even though everyone had said that I would need to forget about it for the duration of my degree. It's really annoying when people say "Oh, dear, you don't have Facebook! How do you manage without it?!" as if it was at least as essential for living as water.

Well, I'm managing quite fine. Believe it or not, real life have so much more to offer than online world.

No comments:

Post a Comment