Monday 3 June 2019

Literary Corner: 6 minute writing challenge.

I would like to write more. But it's difficult. I am easily distracted by other people, tasks on my to-do list, new ideas coming into my head. There never seem to be enough time in the week to sit down for more than a couple of minutes and just write. Without interruptions, without thinking too much about the coherence of the sentences, word order or the relevance of the topic.

So I came up with a challenge. For the next 6 weeks, each Saturday morning, I will write uninterruptedly for 6 minutes.

This idea came to me during an English session with one of my students. We were working on persuasive language and using adjective to describe nouns. The task was to write an advert for holidays in Spain. We had some picture prompts to help out imagination. And I must say that I probably enjoyed this exercise much more than my student. I absolutely loved coming up with different ideas about the surroundings, the salty smell of the air, warm golden sand, the loud sound of cicadas...

Such fond memories from about 10 years ago I think.
Family holidays in Croatia
I miss creative writing. I usually write rather functional pieces so to say. Now I want to try writing something completely different.

So here we are. For the next six Saturday mornings, I will spend six minutes writing. I won't produce long, elaborate works of art, but hopefully some good paragraphs. I will post my less than perfect creations here. I am considering if I want to do some editing before publishing each item, not sure yet. Maybe I will post an unedited version and then an edited, somewhat improved version...

To help me, I am going to use an image generator. It's basic, but this is exactly what I need. Nothing fancy, just an image that I can write about. I am really excited to get started in a few days time. Let's get this creative juice flowing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment