Tuesday 8 January 2019

Getting ready for the New Year.

I've actually starter planning my 2019 goals in late October. I like to be ahead and really clear as to what I want to do. I also had a bit of spare time on my hands and October is as good as any other month for planning the new year.

In my 2019 planner I've divided a notes page into four sections for four categories of goals I will focus on: personal, work, financial and spiritual. These will probably change slightly by the time we get to Easter, but listing things that are important to me will help with staying on track and will also be a helpful reminder of where I am heading.

This is really why I'm doing it. To refocus my attention which is so often fragmented by the worries of today. To have something to go back to in times of confusion.

I really encourage you to do the same. Make a list of goals you want to achieve this year. Not by the end of January, but by the end of 2019.

Below is a picture from my planner with the goals I've set myself. Maybe these can inspire you. They didn't take me that long to come up with, though you might need to do some more soul searching depending on your self-awareness. As you will probably notice, most of my goals are long-term. I cannot achieve them overnight. To achieve them will require a lot of very intentional planning. And who doesn't like some serious planning?


I'm planning (ha! again, planning here, can you see a pattern here?) to post regular updates with how I'm getting on with these. I will also elaborate on some of these in the coming weeks, mostly for my own benefit, I don't really know what I think until I write it down.

Many people say that having two, maybe three, a maximum of four top priority goals to focus on is best. As you can see, I have way more than that, but most of them are pretty actionable or I know what steps I need to take and when to achieve them. For some I need to schedule a date to start the process (sorting out my digital clutter). For others, I'm already doing it (rosary, reading) or have taken steps to achieve those goals (I've applied for the position of the examiner, I'm regularly saving money to build up my emergency fund). Establishing a better work-life balance ties nicely with exercising and reading. So hopefully these goals for 2019 will not be overwhelming, but will become a foundation of my everyday choices.

I'm really looking forward to this year. It will be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment