Wednesday 8 August 2018

Dealing with (far too many) digital files.

Your Dropbox is full and no longer syncing.

Your OneDrive will be frozen on or after 31st July 2018. 

I was finally forced to sort out my digital clutter. Loads of digital clutter.It consists mostly of random downloaded files (250 items, not that many by some standards, but I'm pretty good at cleaning my downloads folder) and roughly a million pictures. Loads of pictures. Some dating 10 years back. Or more. You get the picture (pun not intended). I have 8,444 files and 119 folders stored in Dropbox alone, but there is more in different clouds and just on my laptop drive. And on the external hard drive. So you can see that there is loads of files to get through.

The problem with digital clutter is that you can't really see it. It's not in our way, you can't really trip over it and generally it doesn't cause much issues. Until you run out of space on your drive or in your cloud.

But clutter is clutter in whatever form, be it physical, digital or emotional. And I feel that it needs to be dealt with somehow. By deleting unnecessary files.

And oh boy, I have loads of those files. Mostly pictures. I've been organising my documents (bank statements, invoices etc) into a neat filing system on my laptop and I managed to clear off the downloads folder in about 30 minutes, but the pictures are a huge issue. I used to take a few hundred pictures each holidays and ever since we purchased a digital camera those pictures would just end p somewhere in the folder, often not even labelled properly. And so I have so many pictures that I never looked at. I have pictures of middle school classmates who I don't even keep in touch anymore. I have pictures of random food, random buildings and many totally blurred pictures.

This is my plan : if I haven't looked at a picture for years and if it doesn't spark any joy in me at all, the picture will go. Anything else will go to a KEEP folder arranged with various sub-folders. I'll start with cloud files and work my way through anything on the laptop, followed by the hard drive. It is likely to take weeks.

That's the theory, anyway.

I feel like being absolutely ruthless is the key to success here. Just hit delete. A moment of hesitation means that the picture needs to go. You either love it or not.

Let the fun begin. I will let you know when I emerge from beneath the pile of files.

No comments:

Post a Comment