Tuesday 10 July 2018

Prepping for the Move: The kitchen.

I will be moving in a couple of weeks so I really need to try to declutter as much as I can as early as I can so that when it comes to the move itself, I can just pack up what I need rather than spend that little amount of time I will have thinking if I really need certain items. I have already shared my wardrobe declutter some time ago (I will definitely need round two of that) and now I'm sorting out my kitchen.

I will have more storage space in the new kitchen, but I really don't want to clutter it up with stuff I don't use. And so I've started a process of working out what I needed and what I could live without. Some things I had in my cupboards and decided to let them go. Some I've considered buying for a long time, but now I'm set on not getting any more stuff unless I can justify it properly. I have a plan for that kitchen so everything needs to fit into the designated cupboards. Here's my kitchen master plan:


And now for the kitchen declutter.

Appliances
Blender: I'm still considering buying a proper high powered blender, because I would like to make my own hummus and such stuff rather than keep buying ready made products from the store, but it's an investment of around £400, so I put that one on hold for now. I used to have a standing blender with three different types of attachments, but it was too bulky and took so much space while being rarely used that I've decided to sell it. I have an electric whisk for when I make cakes and a hand blender for making soup in winter. 

Waffle maker/panini press etc: I have to confess I used to be so into such stuff. Isn't that cute to make waffles on Sunday morning? But in reality, this is not what I do, so these sort of things needed to go, and fast.

Utensils
Knife set: Really, who needs 10 different knife types? I have four different knifes with different blade types and lengths, I might reduce the number to three actually, thinking about it now. That's sufficient for all my needs.

Single use tools: Egg separator/ poached egg maker, citrus press, egg slicer, apple corer, little nutmeg grater, pizza cutter. Generally anything that relates to egg preparation is largely redundant. You literally need two hands to separate the yolk from the white. All of the other items are also easily replaceable with more versatile kitchen utensils. My parents have (multiple) pizza cutters. I literally see no point in that: I cut pizza into slices using my regular kitchen knife, I find it much easier. As a rule of thumb, if you can do it with a knife, use a knife. And if you can use your hands, use your hands. 

Rolling pin is another one. Many a time I thought of buying one, you can get these cute thin wooden ones or those proper old school rolling pins with ceramic surface, but in all honesty, I've always used a wine bottle to roll out the pastry.

Multiples
I do need more than one set of cutlery, more than one plate and a mug, but do I really need five different wooden spatulas in addition to a turner and a skimmer? In short, no I don't. I rarely need two spatulas/spoons at a time. Also those wooden slotted spoons are impossible to clean properly.


I've also got rid of multiple chopping boards. I have a glass board, a plastic board and a smaller wooden board. The first one functions more as a surface protector than anything, the other one I use for chopping veggies etc, the last one is for bread. Simple. I suppose not eating meat helps, because I don't need yet another board for that purpose.

Random stuff
Coffee/tea mugs that are mismatched or you don't love + wine glasses and other glasses: I have gin glasses, and 5 wine glasses out of a set of 6 (no clue what happened to the 6th one). The thing is, I don't really drink at home, I don't really drink that much at all really, so I don't think there is much point in keeping so many of those. I have actually purchased a set of four glasses that can serve all the purposes of all the other glasses I had, so that I have less things in my kitchen.

I'm not even near tackling all the foods in my cupboards yet. It will be a massive task. I have a lot of food. I mean it. But that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment