Saturday 25 February 2017

Going South.


I've dreamt of a trip to Ventnor for this entire half term and Friday was the day: I've finally managed to make it down South. The day seemed perfect: the sun was shining, storm Doris was long forgotten and I was actually awake enough to make it to the bus in the morning.

My destination was Ventnor Botanic Gardens and it takes quite a bit of willpower to get there if you don't drive. There is one bus going to Ventnor and it comes only twice an hour (which is still better than on a Sunday when it's once an hour only). But it doesn't take you all the way down to the Gardens. Oh no, that would be far too easy. Instead, you need to get off in the centre and then either hope that a community minibus will come some time soon (and it only comes three times in the morning, that's all), or that number 6 comes to take you to the vicinity of the Gardens. "To the vicinity", because the stop right next to the entrance is out of use.



The alternative is a brisk walk along a road with fairy tale houses. Not a bad alternative on such a beautiful day.

You really do need to keep going to get there...
Now, the Botanic Gardens were fab even at this time of the year. I was a bit worried, because it's only February and it's not a particularly good time for plants, but there were surprising amounts of greenery all around and I even managed to find some flowers!


Sadly, I haven't seen any kangaroos, despite multiple warning signs...


I'm not much into plants to be honest, in fact I kill them: I even have a knitted cactus now, because I actually managed to make a succulent die. So I didn't really appreciate the variety of plants in the Gardens, but I did really enjoy walking around and catching all those sunny spells while reading a book. The café is also fantastic, thumbs up for a comfy sofa and delicious organic tea.




Interesting facts: the Gardens are the home to the oldest palm trees in the UK (150 years they are apparently) and the microclimate in the Gardens is such that it is 5 degrees warmer there than on the mainland.


There isn't too much too do in Ventnor apart from visiting the Gardens (Ventnor Heritage Museum anyone?): I've mentioned Steephill Cove before (beautiful little place) but that's about it. However, there is a multitude of cafes and restaurants here. Cantina is apparently one of the best places for breakfast in the UK, so this will be my next stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment