Thursday 10 November 2016

Little Kat in big London.

People laugh that some islanders never leave the island to go to the mainland, but I don't blame them.

I got so used to the Island life that I almost got through a culture shock when I went to London yesterday.

I've arrived at London Waterloo, met by so many people rushing around, it felt like I wouldn't be able to deal with it. I then got lost trying to find the North bound Northern Line platform, despite the fact that I've spent one whole summer working nearby and I could have go round Waterloo with my eyes closed.

Then, the Tube. Gosh, I've never liked travelling this way, and I will still avoid it at all cost. Did you know that the Island Line,  the only railway connection on the Isle of Wight uses 10 carriages from the Northern Line, dating back to 1938? Using the Island Line regularly didn't change it. Especially that the Tube is so much busy. Even late in the evening it was quite busy: our little line is only that busy just before and just after the school day, when all the children travel to school. All other times it's so quiet. The only upside of the Tube as compares to our train is that it's carriages travel nice and smoothly, whereas using those dated coaches is quite an experience (you need to experience it yourself, it's quite difficult to explain).

Island Line. Not the Tube.

Going through the streets of London during night hours was nothing like walking round where I live. My Little town gets empty in the late afternoon. In London, There were more people out on the streets at 8am than there are people in the centre of Newport on a Saturday.

But only in London I would be able to drink coffee and eat porridge in an old Victorian public convenience.




By the way, I really recommend the Attendant, it's a little quirky place, they have really nice coffee and yummy blueberry porridge. 

Or have a plethora of choice in terms of Japanese and healthy food outlets.


In any case, I'm so glad to be back to my little place. City life is not for me. One day away is enough. Now back to the sleepiness and slow pace of island life. And the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment