Saturday 12 September 2015

Quality Relationship.

I feel extremely blessed by my family. Mum and Dad are loving an caring and I have to say that I'm quite content with the quality of our relationship at this stage.

It hasn't always been like that. Never ever has it crossed my mind that my parents didn't love me: I always had their support and they provided me with everything I wanted and needed. But it wasn't a sort of a relationship that you see between Lorelai and Rory in Gilmore Girls. I wouldn't talk to my mum about my first primary school love (or indeed, the second or third, or any of the following) and my dad wouldn't play football with me (partly because neither of us was really a fan of this sport). I remember feeling as if I was missing out on something important in my life, especially seeing for example my best friend having a very close relationship with her mum.

It was only when I hit my twenties when this relationship with my parents evolved into something more like a partnership. I do enjoy my time with them much more than ever before. We talk, we laugh, we drink together - it's like what I wanted so badly when I was younger, just different and thanks to that much better than what I imagined.

Maybe I am still rather reluctant to talk with my mum about my love life. And it's now physically difficult for my dad to play football with me. But instead we are doing so much together. We go to concerts, to the theatre, dad helps me to improve my driving skills and mum is exceptionally helpful when it comes to making impossible appointments.

Although there's still the same big age gap between us, it seems like me being an adult has helped to bridge it. As did me moving to the UK. We're apart for the most part of the year, so we value the time we have together even more. And this, in turn, improves our relationship.

Gilmore Girls dream came true. But in a much better form.

No comments:

Post a Comment