Friday 11 July 2014

Time confetti


I've actually purchased the book that the interview is about. Because I really do identify with the author. My life a string of time confetti, if you can call it so. It's busy.

I'm a girl who stayed up to bake a coconut bread that I've promise a week earlier. I would say yes when someone asks me to run a fairtrade breakfast on a Sunday morning even though it is a lay-in day and I planned something else already. I would have a friend over for a cup of tea even if my essay is long overdue, my parents are frantically trying to reach me on the phone to discuss summer plans and

And yet, I'm reasonably happy. I mean, I find time for over 2 hours of swimming a week. I take evenings off (mostly) and (usually) refuse to work on Sundays. Anyway, so I thought before I've started digging into the book. Compared to other people that I know, I don't have such a bad attitude, surely?

I paused and pondered on it. I thought about all these times when I prided myself with juggling million functions at the same time. When I thought I was brilliant because I was able to complete all my work days and hours before everyone else only to carry on some additional research or starting the new project. Times when I thought that something is clearly wrong when I had nothing to do and other times when I felt terribly guilty for not doing anything productive after work.

I have terrible amounts of free time here and there. 20 minutes between getting ready for work and leaving the house. 7 minutes while I walk to the station. 35 minutes once I've finished eating lunch. These are relatively long stretches of time, but what meaningful can you do in 20 minutes? My time confetti, scattered around the day.

Funnily enough, I read the book about being overwhelmed with things to do on the Tune or in a bus or while eating quick dinner since I have no time to sit down and just read it. Paranoid.

But it is not only my leisure, so to say, time that is scattered. It's also work time that lacks structure. I engage in a number of tasks at any one time. I search for tax law in Jersey, translate a piece from Polish to English, check email and write up a report. Keep calm, I'm in control of it all. And though at the end of the day everything, somewhat is pain, gets done, it would be much better just to take it one thing at the time. Great as I may feel juggling so much (and it does make me feel like I'm a pro), it's not healthy for the brain.

Aim for next week: gather together the confetti and make a beautiful flower out of it. We all deserve the time to smell roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment