Sunday 8 June 2014

Sunday Special: On fire

Today is Pentecost, so I thought an appropriate topic would be to have a quick look at the Holy Spirit. I'm not a theologian, but I do have my own experiences. Having said that, every Christian is to some extent a theologian, because we all receive the grace of getting to know the Lord.

I must say that it wasn't until about a year ago or so when I started being interested in the Holy Spirit. It somehow seems to be a largely forgotten Person of the Trinity. You make plenty of references to God the Father. Jesus was in this world, crucifixes are in every church and then when the Eucharist is celebrated, it is Jesus in His fullness. But Holy Spirit is rarely referred to. The sign of the cross is one occasion. And then the Spirit is invoked at the consecration. But this is hugely it.

What I guess I found rather hard is to imagine the Holy Spirit. Jesus is so obvious to imagine, God the Father can be simplified to a figure of an old man sitting on a throne, but the Holy Spirit is a bit of a mystery. He appears as a dove when Jesus is baptised. And then as tongues of fire on the Pentecost. But how do you pray to such a creature?

I've come to realise that the Holy Spirit is everywhere and I simply cannot grasp Him with my imagination. But there is an increadible power in that. And there is an increadible power in the Holy Spirit. The Spirit hovered over the chaos of the universe before the creation. This is a wonderful image. There's nothing around, only darkness, but you can feel the Spirit all around you, blowing back and forth like a storm. He made everything new back then. And still continue to make everything new today. It sometimes seems that we've forgotten the power of the Holy Spirit. But Jesus said: "I shall ask the Father, and he will give you another Paraclete to be with you for ever,the Spirit of truth whom the world can never accept since it neither sees nor knows him; but you know him, because he is with you, he is in you.I shall not leave you orphans; I shall come to you." (John 14:16-18) and "I have said these things to you while still with you; but the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you." (John 14:25-26) 

The Holy Spirit works in this world constantly. The only thing is to open to this power. Power that is overwhelming and very gentle at the same time. Power that sets you on fire, but still lets you be who you are.

Prayer for the Help of the Holy Spirit
O God, send forth your Holy Spirit into my heart that I may perceive, into my mind that I may remember, and into my soul that I may meditate. Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct me, and may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.
(Saint Anthony of Padua)

No comments:

Post a Comment