Sunday 23 February 2014

Noisy kids, frustration, tears and hopeless situations? - Yes, please! The joy will follow...

So I really want to take part in Teach First programme after I graduate, which is in quite a while, but I'm getting really excited about this possibility.

Having finally caught up on Young Tough Teachers, instead of being put off, I've become even more convinced that this is something I want to do. Despite chairs being thrown across the classroom, lazy students, general not-bothering about learning, long hours and poor results despite hard work.

I don't really think that being a lawyer is my path. Honestly, law is great, it teaches me a lot, not only about different legal concepts, but also some general life skills, like prioritising (there's never enough time to get through the entire reading list), time-management, research, construing my argument in an orderly and logical manner. But I've always wanted to do something 'for the world' in a very direct way. Really change someone's life. Sure, you can win a case on human rights, though how about helping to make a better start in life for a group of young people?

Money is just not enough. People are surprise when I tell them I would like to teach. Yes, I could go to the commercial bar, earn ridiculous amounts of money, have no life and work 100 hours a week. Sure, could do that, but what's the point? What can be better than spending 7 hours each day surrounded with exceptional young people?

I was lucky enough to receive excellent education. I went to a music primary school, then to the best middle school in the city from where I went to the top high school in the country. They were all public schools, but they were extremely good. Then I got a scholarship and spent 2 years at an independent girls-only school in Shropshire. Probably most of the parents wish they could provide such excellent educational opportunities for their children.

But not everyone is so lucky. I know the educational system from its brighter end- pretty much all of my friends go to uni. And yet so many children can hardly make it through to the GCSEs. I remember first time I went to my Maths Primary Schools Plus session. I had to cycle through some rather poor-looking neighbourhood and I remember worrying about what sort of kids I will see at school. And they all turned out to be brilliant. So smart. But they are not given a chance to achieve their full potential because of their disadvantage background. This is really unfair.

So yes, I think this is my way of saving the world and making it a little bit better. At least teaching would be an enjoyable job. I love it. I love explaining the idea of consecutive numbers, multiplying fractions or English idioms. I love the spark that appears in the child's eye when she finally gets something she found difficult. And I'm sure there is even more joy of teaching to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment