Wednesday 12 February 2014

My sweet culinary endavours

I absolutely love cooking. And baking. Oh my, making cake mixture is the best thing ever. Or playing with dough with hands cover in flour. It's like children getting covered in mud in the playground, but messing with cake batter is a legitimate adult activity, which means that I can retain my serious appearance and have an incredible amount of fun at the same time.

I'm quite a messy cooker, I have to say, you should see me making tiramisu- the kitchen surface always ends up being cover with coffee, mascarpone mixture and sponge crumbs. Today was not much better- baking powder ended up all over the kitchen floor and working surface (I just hope no one else will cook tonight, otherwise there will be white footsteps all over the building).

I used to take pictures of pretty much all of my culinary creations, I should probably come back to this, just in case I need an alternative career path.

At home it used to be only my dad who used to bake. As a real daddy's daughter I started doing what he  was doing and in this way after a while I took over as a family baker. Chocolate cloud cake, Dutch apple tart, muffins, pineapple upside-down cake (one is just in the oven now, actually!), tiramisu, sponge cake, birthday cake, eclairs... I've never made Pavlova or creme brulee, but these are on my list.

Currently there is a pack of filo pastry in my fridge and it needs to get used up sooner rather than later, so as soon as I can get hold of a muffin tray I will figure something out in this direction. Apricots and walnuts seem like a good option, or maybe a mixture of almonds, walnuts and orange? Jamie Oliver had a great idea for using filo pastry by making mince pies a bit different, but it's long after Christmas already and I'm not sure whether I can take yet another mince pie. Better save these for next year.

And there is another wonderful sweet mission to complete. My friend Oliver has got me a recipe for 'great-great-grandma's coconut buns'. They are absolutely amazing (at least when his grandma has made them), so I'm really looking forward to making those as well. Om nom nom nom...

Enough of sweeties for tonight. And here comes my pineapple upside-down cake. Straight from the oven. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment