Tuesday 24 April 2018

5 ways to reduce waste.

No 1: Ditch that plastic water bottle.

I know what you'll say: But it's so wonderfully convenient to just walk into a shop and pick up a water bottle from a fridge! Hands up if you recycle every single plastic bottle that you use. No? I wouldn't be able to do it either. Apparently the majority of plastic bottles are not recycled. This is why I have a glass water bottle that I carry around with me everywhere. I used to have a stainless steel one before, it worked really well and was lighter, so that might be a better option for you. If you are worried about availability of drinking water when you are out an about and you have run out of water in your reusable bottle, most cafes are quite happy to fill it up and I've also become really knowledgeable about water fountains at London airports to avoid buying bottled water after security. And yes, I can take an empty water bottle through security even if it is over 100 ml. Just make sure there is no liquid in there.


No 2: Leave your car on the driveway (and walk to work)

This one might not be an option for everybody, but can be easily changed into leaver your car on the driveway and take public transport/car pool. Ever since I've bought a car last year, I've driven a few thousands of miles, producing so much pollution and also drastically lowered the amount of exercise I get each week. Now I have a resolution to walk to work at least a couple of times a week, which takes me about 30 minutes both ways. Not a lot of time (though it does seem so at 6:45 in the morning), but, given my persistent failure to turn up at exercise classes, a brisk walk is what my body gets to keep relatively fit. Also, having this extra time to get ready for the day, calm down and think things through is so beneficial for mental health. By the time I get to work I am in a better state of mind and the exercises releases all those good hormones that I need to face a difficult way.


No 3: Peruse the depths of your fridge before it's too late

Food waste is a massive issue and I am so guilty of that one. I love cooking and sometimes I get far too excited while shopping, buying all these wonderful, fresh ingredients that I am simply not able to use up quickly enough in my little single person household. I used to to one big food shop a week, but now I'm considering doing more smaller shopping trips to use up the food more efficiently than I am at the moment. It won't be as time efficient, but sometimes my eating schedule gets amended and all of a sudden I am not able to make that french lentil salad that I've planned, even if the carrots and the cheese are begging to get used up. So definitely, think about the food you are buying and check your fridge before buying new items. And make friends with your freezer: you can freeze pretty much everything except things like tomatoes or lettuce. In general you can use up fresh produce to make a big batch of food and the freeze it in smaller portions. Your dinners for busy days are sorted.

No 4: Sort out your junk mail

I don't know about you, but I get so much stuff though my letter box. Literally almost every day something arrives that is not an important letter. It drives me crazy, because I read most of the things online, so all the leaflets, magazines etc. end up straight in my recycling bin anyway. Dealing with this might take some time, because you might need to send a few emails to the customer services of the companies/charities/clubs that send you traditional mail. It might be that you already receive emails from them anyway, so there is no reason to receive information in two different ways. And if you are not, but would like to, just say so in the email, these people really want to stay in touch, because then you are more likely to purchase their products or services.

No 5: BYOB

Get your own lovely shopping bag and don't buy those plastic ones from the store each time, even if they are long life or can be replaced for free. There are so many pretty designs available, made from a variety of materials including recycled plastic and cotton. Think you will forget to pack it up? Well, have a shopping bag always at hand. I keep one in my glove compartment in the car just in case I stop by a store to pick some little bits and bobs up. Another one is always in my bag, I just never leave it at home and after being used it goes straight back ready for the next day. My big shop bags are at the top of the fridge, not the most glamorous of places, but I can see them when I do my shopping list (and every time I'm getting anything from the fridge). Your canvas bag can double up as a book bag, an organiser when packing a suitcase or a temporary storage when you are cleaning up the house.

This beauty unfolds into a shopping bag.
Gift from my mum, so cute and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment